Chicken Makhni Handi Recipe
Chicken Makhni Handi is a traditional Punjabi dish which is prepared in a clay pot with number of spices and cream. It is also known as butter chicken in some regions. It is a rich creamy textured dish which will definitely enhance the flavor of your taste buds. It is an extremely tempting main course chicken dish cooked in butter, cream and cheese served usually at dinner time. You can follow this recipe and hence, serve this dish to your family on weekends and can receive number of appreciation from them.
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 25 Minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 Minutes
- 3-5 tablespoon of oil
- 500 grams of Chicken (boneless)
- 2 teaspoon of Ginger/Garlic Paste
- 3-4 Tomatoes (skinned & grated) 2-3
- 3 Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp multi-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of Cream
- ¼ cup of Yogurt
- 3-4 tsp of butter.
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese.
- 2 tsp of Ginger (julienne)
- 2-3 tbsp of Coriander (chopped)
- Salt to taste.
- 1 tsp of Dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp of coconut milk.
- 2-3 tsp of Ghee
- 1 tsp of Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp of Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 4-5 Green Chilies (chopped)
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper (ground)
- 1 tsp Garam Mas ala
- Water as required
DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING:
- Heat oil in a pan on high flame and add boneless chicken to it. Fry it until it gets golden brown. Take it out from the pan and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a clay pot on medium flame heat and add onions to it. Fry onions in oil until they get golden brown. Just then add ginger/garlic paste in the pot and let it fry for 1 minute as well or until golden brown.
- Next add tomato paste and then cover the lid for 5 minutes until the oil separated from the tomato onion mixture.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to the mixture and mix it well for half a minute.
- Then add the fried boneless chicken to the pot and mix it well on high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add yogurt in to the chicken and leave it for several minutes until the yogurt water dries away.
- Add black pepper, fenugreek leaves and garam masala and mix it evenly. Now mix coconut milk and flour together and add it to the dish maintaining the right amount of the consistency.
- Add cream to the chicken mixture now and mix it evenly.
- Add cheese in to the dish and cover the pot with the lid so that cheese melts equally.
- In another pan heat 1-2 tsp ghee and butter and add it to the chicken mixture instantly.
- Garnish it well with chopped coriander, garlic and remaining green chilies.
- Cover the pot after garnish immediately for few minutes so that aroma of the cheese and butter sinks in to the chicken.
- Serve hot with naan or chapatis. You can also serve it with plain rice or garlic rice.
- Also add raita and fresh vegetables salad to this dish of Chicken Makhni Handi.